Gulargambone is an Aboriginal word meaning ‘watering hole for many Galars’. The Town has a population of about 500 with approximately 1000 in the postcode. The community has driven several projects in the town including the first community-owned Post Office, attractive murals, the ‘two eight two eight’ volunteer run cafe & gallery which includes an accredited Visitor Information Centre and of course the now famous ‘corrugated iron galahs’ which appear on the highway and around town.
The first Europeans into the area were an exploration party led by John Oxley, the New South Wales Surveyor General. The party comprised 16 men and 19 horses. They crossed the district north of the present town site on 2 August, 1818.
It’s a roaring night with comedy, auctions, music, entertainment and a wonderful meal. The event is held annually and has a celebrity guest each year.
The dinner is a fundraising event with the profits injected back into local community projects